Photo: Jani Helle

New lease of life for level three

Photo: Jani Helle

Photo: Jani Helle

Ross Quaile

Glasgow University library’s third floor annexe was recently reopened after a major refurbishment programme was completed.

An entirely new design has been adopted, which sees café-style tables and chairs looking out onto Bute Gardens through a wall of panelled windows. There are also six study booths, with facilities for laptops, as well as three new circular spaces designed with the aim of creating more private group study areas. Additional student computers and leather sofas complete the upgrade.

The new development follows a similar refurbishment of the level four annexe, which was finished in July 2008. A spiral staircase has been installed which links level three with the ‘Rest and Be Thoughtful’ café on level four.

University Librarian Helen Durndell is delighted with the final result and equally so with how students have reacted to the newly designed area.

She said: “Library staff are really thrilled with how the redevelopment has turned out, and the quality of finish achieved. We are excited about how students are already engaging with the space.”

Ms. Durndell added that the new area has been designed specifically to offer a more casual working environment.

She said: “We deliberately chose a different look and feel, with varied colours and materials, to signal to students that this is an area for them to relax and have conversations — it is a social learning space.

“There are many other areas elsewhere in the library where quiet individual study is the expectation. We are fortunate to be able to offer this variety to match students’ needs.”
New facilities will complete the redevelopment later this month, with the installation of vending machines, and the launch of an over-the-counter café service.

Ms. Durndell also confirmed that the busy short-loan section on level two is also being targeted for a much needed redevelopment in the near future.

She said: “This area is now twelve years old and looking rather tired. We will be making a case to university management to continue this important building development work.”