SRC executive positions hotly contested

ballot box Craig MacLellan and Anna Murray

The sabbatical positions at the Students’ Representative Council (SRC) have all received three or more nominations for each
vacancy, in a welcome change from the lack of interest displayed in recent years.

Whilst the four sabbatical positions will be highly contested, some of the other non-sabbatical roles have received little or no interest.

The sabbatical roles, which the successful candidates will carry out full-time for one year and receive a salary of £15,292, all drew strong interest from students.

The March elections will see three candidates running for the role of SRC president: Tommy Gore, Sophie Hall and Philip Neal.

The position of VP (Student Support) received four entrants: Ronan Radin, Fraser Sutherland, Saud Taj and Andrew Yates.

The positions of VP (Media & Communications) and VP (Learning & Development) both attracted five applicants for each role.

The VP (Media & Communications) applicants are Andy Davies, Gavin Lavery, Craig MacLellan, Gary Rodger and Luke Winter.

The VP (Learning & Development) candidates are Muhammad Ashraf, Stewart Bracegirdle, Lucky Dhillon, Tuula Eriksson and James Harrison.

However, four Academic Convenor positions remained unfilled. The positions of Education, Medicine and Veterinary Medicine Faculty Convenors, along with the position of Postgraduate Convenor were unable to attract any applicants. The posts of Mature Students’ Officer and Part Time Students’ Officer also failed to attract any interest. Nominations for these positions will be re-opened in the SRC’s autumn elections.

Several positions on the council also received only one candidate. In these cases students will be given the option to vote to re-open nominations.

These positions include Arts Faculty Convenor, International Students Officer, LGBT Students’ Officer, Minority Ethnic Officer and Student with Disabilities Officer.

SRC President Laura Laws said: “I am delighted at the number of candidates running for positions on SRC Council. The choice in candidates this year and range of their manifesto pledges means that students can have a real say in what direction the SRC should take next year.”

She urged students to take part in the election process: “It takes two minutes to vote on any university computer or online at www.glasgowstudent.net.

“It’s important to me to see as many students as possible voting to shape the future of the student experience here at Glasgow.”

The heckling meeting for the four sabbatical positions will be held on Tuesday March 2 at 5.30pm in the John McIntyre Building. Voting will take place between 9am on March 3 and 5pm on March 4, with the results to be announced shortly after the polls close.

Manifestos for all nominated candidates are available to view on the SRC’s website and students can vote by logging on to